Sunday, May 27, 2018

Living in Kanpur

It's hard to live here in Kanpur.
The area is so polluted that it has a world record in pollution.
To breathe, knowing that each breath reduces my life by a couple of minutes is hard.
It's like suicide.
But there is no other option.
Can I not breathe? No. I can't.
Therefore, breath by breath, I die here.

Can Kanpur's problem of pollution be solved?
It can. But I don't think it will be.
Until the people here- including ordinary people, government and local authorities accept that pollution is a problem, it cannot be solved.
Here, pollution is the order of the day.
Ordinary people spit pan all over the roads and walls.
Industrialists spit chemical waste all over the rivers and land.
Politicians spit venom all over people's minds and hearts.
On top of it, education is a scarce resource.
There is nothing unnatural or extraordinary in it.
Since there is no problem here, nothing can be solved.

When dust storms occur in Kanpur, we can see the profile of human life flying in the air.

Plastic, dust, dirt, debris and waste fill the atmosphere.

No space to breathe.
I could feel my nostrils burn with each breath.
I could feel myself dying breath by breath.

But nothing can be solved here. Because there is no problem here.

It's hard to live among stubborn people.
For them, the world is monolithic.
Their way is the only way.
So I dream of a day when I go away.
So far away that I can breathe clean air.
So I would move away from this place, just for one clean breath.
That alone shouldn't be too hard, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saffron Catholics of Kerala

Recently, a few Catholic dioceses in Kerala have been making statements and movements favouring right wing political parties. Some of these ...